Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Day Rescue

We are on our way home from the auction and Im happy to report that we rescued 5 horses and 2 kittens. I will type up my New Holland story tomorrow but I will share that we got a black TB mare, black and white spotted draft mare, a bay TB gelding, a palomino gelding, and a grey pony gelding. They are a great bunch of horses and we are so happy that they are on their way to PA as I type this. Another successful rescue thanks to the help of all my amazing supporters. We found 2 stray kittens at New Holland so they are heading back to the farm. I know, I'm a softie for all animals.

I'm exhausted from a long but wonderful day at the auction. I can't explain how awful it is to be there but at the same time the joy you feel when you rescue a horse. Bidding against kill buyers, dealing with many low life people, and seeing the faces of so many horses that have lost hope. It's an experience that is like no other. Tonight I will pray for a group of 7 paint horses that were sold for $20 a head to a well known kill buyer, a draft that was sold for $10, and a gelding who laid on the floor from complete exhaustion before they loaded him on the slaughter truck to his death.

Another day that will stick in my mind forever. So many horses I was unable to help but I look into the eyes of the five we rescued and it makes it worth the heart ache.

Again thank you for your support in another amazing rescue effort!

1 comment:

  1. so sad to hear about the ones that didn't get rescued - my prayers are expanding to include them too

    ReplyDelete