Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Reunion of Rosie and Maggie

This past Saturday myself, my mom, Melissa, and Cadie packed into the truck and heading to PA to visit Kim and all of our horses that call Serendipity Stables home.  Our quaratine farm is a wonderful place, fields of horses grazing happily together.  We board many of our horses at this farm until we have space at our farm in Northport.  Kim rehabs them and teaches them the love and trust they will need to find a new home.  The teamwork that goes into rescuing our horses is endless, our goal as a group is to make the horses as adoptable as possible.  This visit was special for everyone, the reunion of Rosie and Maggie was finally here.

Let me begin by explaining to you to story of the draft team that I spent endless nights thinking about.  On President's Day we headed to New Holland Horse Auction to rescue a few special horses.  I stumbled across a big bay draft mare who I was very fond of.  When she went through the ring we decided to bid on her and rescue her from a life of working on an Amish farm and most likely end up at a slaughter house.  At the end of the day we noticed that our bay draft mare had an identical twin standing right next to her.  She was sold to someone else and as hard as I tried to track down who had purchased her I failed.  We loaded our bay draft, now named Rosie, on our trailer and has to listen to her and her friend scream frantically back and forth to one another.  The screams were piercing, it was the sound of heart break, two best friends saying good bye.

I did not sleep for days thinking about how I had let Rosie's friend down, I could not help her in her time of need.  It killed me inside.  I started a mission to find Rosie's mate, a mission that would take me months and tons of dead ends to find the other big bay mare.  We put out a reward and the tips starting flooding in, none of them brought me closer to reuniting her.  The months passed by and the search for Rosie's mate started to slow down.  We all assumed we would never find her.

In May we got a tip from someone at Camelot that she was run through and sold to the "10 pen".  We quickly called and bought the horse that was thought to be Rosie's mate.  I waited for the picture to see if it was her, when it popped up on my phone I was speechless.  We had found Rosie's mate.  She looked to be in great condition and I started planning the reunion.  Rosie and her mate would be reunited at Kim's and would find their forever home together.

This past Saturday we headed to Kim's to reunite Rosie and her mate, now named Maggie.  Ray walked Maggie up to the field that Rosie was grazing in, she took one look at Rosie, gave a loud nicker, and went trotting off to her old friend.  They danced in a circle figuring out their dominance and then started happily grazing together.  The crowd of people that came to watch these old best friends be reunited was amazing, everyone smiled and cheered as they happily went off together trotting around.  My hard work, and the hard work of many others, had finally paid off.  The girls will be together forever thanks to the dedication of many people that helped make this happen.

Each day we fight to rescue horses like Rosie and Maggie and reunions like this make it all worth while.

Check out the video of the reunion made by Cadie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nqzJp8gZk&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment